Header Picture

View From the Trail to Mount Colvin

My Readers

Thursday, October 10, 2013

A Third of the Way

Location: Campbellsville, KY (High 77, Low 46)

Believe it or not, we are now a third of the way through our time here at Amazon. Five weeks under our belt! That feels like forever. There are still new groups starting every week, and now on Tuesdays when we see the small groups getting their tour of the facility and hearing the safety talks, we feel like old hands in comparison.

For the most part, our experience has been really positive. Harry found it a challenge at first with the whole “punching a time clock” routine…breaks at a certain time, lunch at a certain time, etc. I spent most of my adult life as a classroom teacher, so sticking to a schedule like that wasn’t such a shock to my system. Our bodies have really acclimated to the work. Harry isn’t really having any soreness at all now. My main issue continues to be my shoulder muscles. I’m fine when we’re there and working but then they get really tight at night. I end up waking up multiple times because my hands and arms go numb. Thank goodness for massages, that’s all I’ve got to say! I’ve been having one every week and for a few days I can sleep without any problem. Even right now as I’m typing this I still have some tingling in my right hand and arm but I have a massage this afternoon!! Woot woot!! The exercise has been good for us weight-wise. Both Harry and I have lost about three pounds so far. I was hoping for ten so hopefully I will be getting close to that goal by the end of December.

The weather has been great. Highs in the 70s most days, lows in the 40s to 50s. Nice sunny days and great sleeping weather at night. It’s funny because our next door neighbor has been turning on his heat at night, while we have yet to close our windows. Autumn in Kentucky has been so nice – still a change of season and turning leaves, but it’s happening so much slower. We went on our foliage drive in New York just about this time last year, and a lot of the areas were already past peak then. Here most of the trees are still green and the leaves are only just starting to turn.

We haven’t really been doing any sightseeing. I think it’s just going to be a low-key fifteen weeks. By the time we finish our four days of work, we just feel like hanging out and taking it easy on the other three. We do some grocery shopping and laundry, visit an Amish grocery store that we discovered for some baked goods and meat, cook some meals for the next work week and catch up on a few of our tv programs. That’s about it, although we do have our third horseback riding lesson this morning, and those have been fun. We will probably have the lessons through this month, and by then the overtime will probably be starting to pick up. Those are going to be busy fast weeks, but our bank account will thank us. :)

Five weeks down – ten to go!

7 comments:

  1. We are really talking about doing this next year. Several people at the rally saying the same thing. You guys are helping :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great if you came to KY! :) We definitely plan to come back for another season.

      Delete
  2. When we don't have to go back to VT in the summers we plan to do this too, thanks for the first hand perspective. Enjoy the well earned massage, the massage sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear that you guys are doing great! Keep building up that bank account :)! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And just think back at this time last year. You have come a long way! Sounds to me like you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got the call to report on Monday (10/21). We were originaly scheduled for 11/4 but were asked this morning to start earlier. We should be arriving at the campground Sunday afternoon and start orientation on Monday. I guess those "rookies" touring the facility next Tuesday will be us! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey awesome!! We work on Sunday so we will probably see you when we get home around 4:45! :)

      Delete