Header Picture

View From the Trail to Mount Colvin

My Readers

Friday, May 24, 2013

Gray Skies and Changing Plans

Location: Catskill, NY (High 64, Low 49)


Today is one of those days when I am reminded of how wonderful it is to have this as our fulltime life and not have to be dependent on the whims of Mother Nature. After beautiful weather almost every day since we arrived here in Catskill, a cold front is moving in for much of the holiday weekend. The high of 64 was earlier this morning, and the temp has fallen now to 61. We were awakened in the night by a very heavy rain when the front came through. Throughout the day, it’s supposed to get even cooler and continue raining. Not a fun day to be a tent camper, which is a big part of this campground’s business.


We don’t have much on the agenda for today. I started organizing my photo files yesterday, which is a huge job considering I take pictures almost every day. I’ve been putting it off for a while now, but decided yesterday it was time to bite the bullet and tackle the project.


After looking at the calendar in terms of Harry’s upcoming surgery, we decided yesterday to change our summer plans. We are only seven weeks away from the Heartland NY rally we were planning to attend, so we IMG_5828reluctantly decided that it wasn’t realistic to think about traveling so soon. We also backed up and shortened our trip to the Adirondacks.  We went and spoke to the campground owners yesterday and decided that it made more sense to pay for a seasonal site. So this campground is going to be our home base for most of the next three and a half to four months. It will actually work out well because we won’t find out when we start at Amazon until late in August, so if we get a later start date in September we can just stay here in Catskill a little longer, since the site is ours until October anyway.

We are hoping once Harry feels better to be able to enjoy some short hikes here in the Catskills.


  1. At least you have some good options and what looks to be a nice place to spend the summer. I wish we were there!

  2. Sounds like a wise decision. Hopefully Harry's recovery will be faster than you all think.
    The weather here in Oregon is rainy, but not all day. Right now is raining, but it may clear up later.

  3. that takes away much of the worry about how fast recovery will be..
    makes perfect sense.....

  4. Sounds like this RV Lifestyle is really working well for you guys. Hope Harry's recovery is quick. I assume you are headed to Amazon, Campbelsville. Be sure to do the Bourbon Trail. There is also a huge amount of Civil War History to take in. We loved it there. Stayed at the Green River SP, very enjoyable.