Header Picture

View From the Trail to Mount Colvin

My Readers

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Quite the Staple Remover

Yesterday’s main event was a trip to the Surgical Services Office at Albany Medical Center to have my staples removed. The morning was uneventful. I rested up, and took my shower earlier than I have been this past few days. Harry came home from work at noon, and at 1 pm we headed out. Sure do feel bumps on the road more acutely these days, although at least that has subsided a bit since my trip home on Saturday. We were lucky to find a spot in the parking garage on the roof. It seemed like the last one, although the machine downstairs was still letting cars in, so maybe we missed one on the way up. I am so glad that I have spent the past 6 months getting into better shape, because I can’t imagine how little stamina I would have if I had been in March’s shape when this all happened. It wasn’t that far from the parking spot to the elevator, and we walked very slowly, but I was sweating like I’d just had a huge workout. We checked into the office, and after a short wait, my name was called. Then it was time to sit in the little room - I have never understood why the wait is always the longest once you actually make it to this point. It’s like they’ve done their part by getting you into someplace private within 5 minutes of your appointment time, but then you wait 30 minutes in the next room for the doctor to make an appearance. Anyway, after the obligatory wait, the doctor appeared and he was great. Answered questions, took his time with his explanations AND took out the staples!!! He had this handy dandy little tool that went right under the cross piece and just crimped it, and those little spokes just came right out. So nice and easy, and I hardly felt it. Smile

After that, we trekked back over to the car and headed for Walmart. I haven’t mentioned it much this week with everything else that has been going on, but we are actually leaving for vacation on Saturday. So we needed to go buy some supplies and food stuffs to bring with us. I did ok, but I was tired and sweating by the time we had what we needed. I had intended to use one of those riding carts to move around the store, but it died before we even made it to the grocery section. Needless to say, I was tired when we got home. It was a very busy afternoon. After that, it was time to rest!


  1. enjoy your vacation..rest and relax!

  2. I know what you mean about sitting in the little room waiting for doctor to arrive. It's a bit nerve wracking. Take it easy and don't do any lifting for a few weeks.

  3. Piece of cake!! I'm glad it went well.

    Now rest, relax and get better.


  4. I would say a vacation is in order after all you've been through.
    Take things slow and easy!!! Relax and enjoy!!

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)