Header Picture

View From the Trail to Mount Colvin

My Readers

Monday, October 18, 2010

Reflections on Another Day

I’ve read many beautiful posts today, hoping for some inspiration for my own post. I don’t know for sure what direction this post will take – I am just letting my rambling thoughts take over.

Yesterday was my birthday. It was a very low-key kind of day. It had already been planned that way, but given the events of the previous day, it worked out well, because I definitely didn’t feel like celebrating. We were in Burlington for the weekend, and got to spend Saturday with our beautiful little guy Schaun. It is so great to be able to spend time with our grandson, and I never expected to be able to say those words at all! I have never had any children of my own, but I am thankful now to be able to share our life with Harry’s son and daughter, and now their families. There is nothing like a child to make you feel full of life (at the same time that they drain it out of you!)

This is such a cliché, and I’m not by any means the first one to say it, but life is such a mystery. I’ve thought of it several times in the past few weeks in relation to my own sickness. Although I only felt weak and light-headed, we know now that I was very very sick when I went to the doctor’s office on that Wednesday in September. My appendix had ruptured and I had peritonitis which was spreading. But the main reason the PA sent me to the hospital that morning was that I was dehydrated, and wanted me to have an IV put in to rehydrate. He almost just sent me home, and if that had happened, the outcome might not have been so positive. Two very different possibilities, and I’m very thankful for the outcome that I had.

So many people have said this over the past couple of days, but it is so true – Life is such a gift. We must seize the moment and truly live every day. Kenny Chesney is not my favorite artist, but I do love this song, and it’s message is so appropriate for today….

So damn easy to say that life’s so hard
Everybody’s got their share of battle scars
As for me I’d like to thank my lucky stars
That I’m alive and well
It’d be easy to add up all the pain
And all the dreams you’ve sat and watch go up in flames
Dwell on the wreckage as it smolders in the rain
But not me… I’m alive

And today you know that’s good enough for me
Breathing in and out’s a blessing can’t you see
Today’s the first day of the rest of my life
And I’m alive and well
I’m alive and well

7 comments:

  1. I've been having the same feelings as I wake and fall asleep fro two days now. I hope I never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the senseless death of Margie and Bruce has affected so many of us in various ways. I will forget for a while then it all comes back to me. It is almost as if walking in a dream. Oh, that it were so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated Birthday!! It has definitely been a difficult weekend for everyone. Nice words to the song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday, Jessica..life goes on but we will never forget!..Margie won't let us..she is in all of us...blog away!..tell us what is in your heart..that's what she would have wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Jessica. I agree with that Sue and Doug wrote, just say whats in your heart.

    Letting people get to know your true self is a good thing. :)

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday. I'm glad you are alive and well too. Every time I pull up your blog and see that adorable little Ariel, it makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY late BIRTHDAY!

    Love the poem

    Travel Safe

    ReplyDelete