Header Picture

View From the Trail to Mount Colvin

My Readers

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Relaxing Saturday Morning

At the moment, anyway! Even though I have to go to work for a few hours, I love being able to relax and have my leisurely cup of coffee in the morning. I am also transitioning into a holiday season frame of mind, as I purchased Peppermint Mocha creamer to use in my coffee. Be right back I like the seasonal creamers – most of them - I can’t quite imagine putting eggnog flavoring into my coffee.

This has been a good week – hard to believe that I’ve just about finished two weeks back at work already. I feel like we got a lot accomplished this week. The kitchen renovations have been on our mind for over a year now – we both really felt that redoing the kitchen is needed in order to prepare our house for selling. So now that we have committed to a kitchen remodel in just a couple months, it feels like a huge step toward finishing the house improvements.

The bad news, of course, is that there goes our debt back up. I have been working at paying down the current loans we have all year. Since March, in fact, I’ve cut the amount of debt we owe in half. We are lucky in that we have really low rates for our loans. We consolidated all of our credit card debt a year ago in August 2009 with the credit union where I work, and we also refinanced our mortgage in 2009 as well. Just a couple of weeks ago, we also refinanced Harry’s car (I’m not sure why we didn’t do it sooner). You might have already heard that credit unions have very good loan rates, and because I am an employee, I get a break on top of those. I had planned to have all our debt (other than our mortgage) gone by the end of 2011, but the kitchen remodel will probably extend that into 2012. We think it’s worth it though!

The other big accomplishment of this week is the completion of Harry’s shelving unit in the garage. He finished the shelf earlier this week, and yesterday he started organizing. It looks great! We now have so much storage space in the garage. I think that will be a huge plus for selling. Right now they are still all in their original wood, but next year we are going to paint them. I will take some pictures of the newly arranged garage this afternoon after Harry finishes arranging everything….stay tuned….Smile

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the flavored creamers...when they start putting them in the stores, I gotta have them! Eggnog - not so much..it's awful :)

    Keep whittling away on that debt..it's a good feeling to see it go down.

    Looking forward to more pix of the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got your financial affairs well in hand with a great plan. The kitchen remodel will definitely be a bonus when you go to sell. It's always one of the first things that attract potential buyers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an accountant, I strongly agree that you should be debt free when starting out as an RV couple! How can you enjoy your travels, if you are worried about the payments on next months loans.
    Sounds like you are well on your way to that goal. The sale of the house will fund the mortgage and the home improvement loan for the kitchen.
    Rod

    ReplyDelete